If you are experiencing mental ill health we encourage you to reach out for support on your recovery journey. The below organisations provide free advice and information.
Please note: the National Mental Health Commission does not take responsibility for the information or advice accessed outside our website.
If life is in danger please call 000 for emergency assistance from police, ambulance or fire services.
Crisis support lines 24/7
Lifeline 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467
Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78
National Indigenous Critical Response Service 1800 805 801
Family Drug Support 1300 368 186
You can also get help from:
- For current health information regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) visit the Department of Health website or call the Coronavirus Health Information Line 1800 020 080. If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.
- For mental heath support regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) contact Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Line 1800 512 348 available 24/7, with trained counsellors. Additionally, there is a dedicated website with online forums and mental health resources.
- If you are currently impacted by the Bushfires, you can access immediate free counselling by contacting Services Australia 180 22 66 or your local GP or health professional. For additional information regarding financial assistance and support visit the National Bushfire Recovery Agency. You can also access mental health information, disaster toolkits and resources at Life In Mind.
- Head to Health for free and low-cost online and phone mental health resources
For current and former Australian Defence Force members and their families Open Arms - Veterans & Families Counselling 1800 011 046, Australian Government Department of Defence All-hours Support Line 1800 628 036 or Defence Family Helpline 1800 624 608. Australian Defence Force personnel can also contact your; Local health facility, Mental Health & Psychology Section, Chaplain, Unit Welfare Officer, Chain of command.
- A local GP or health professional