The Commission monitors and reports on investment in mental health and suicide prevention initiatives, provides evidence based policy advice to Government and disseminates information on ways to continuously improve Australia’s mental health and suicide prevention systems, and acts as a catalyst for change to achieve those improvements. This includes increasing accountability and transparency in mental health through the provision of independent reports and advice to the Australian Government and the community.
We work with stakeholders, particularly people with living experience of mental health, their families and other support people to ensure mental health reforms are collectively owned and actioned.
We work across all areas that promote mental health and prevent mental illness and suicide – not just government and not just health, but education, housing, employment, human services and social support, so that all Australians achieve the best possible mental health and wellbeing.
All people in Australia are enabled to lead contributing lives in socially and economically thriving communities.
Promote understanding of the outcomes that matter and drive transformational change across service systems for people with lived experience of mental health issues.
The Commission is an executive agency established on 1 January 2012 under the Public Service Act 1999 and is a non-corporate Commonwealth entity under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013. We are accountable to the Australian Parliament through the Health Portfolio.
- We believe everyone is capable of great things in a great environment.
- We strive for success and celebrate it when we achieve it.
- We know and use evidence to inform our decisions.
- We support innovation and continuous improvement, and are committed to helping build the evidence base.
- We are credible and trusted. Integrity.
- We are honest and trustworthy in all that we do.
- We stand up for what we believe in.
- We respect each other’s differences.
- We value human rights and social justice.
- We believe in equity and opportunity for all. Collaboration.
- We value individuals, interactions and connectedness.
- We respect and acknowledge everyone’s input, skills and experience.
- We believe in working together.
- We acknowledge the importance of effective communication.
- We support engagement and participation at all levels to enhance our outcomes. Accountability.
- We value our independence and transparency.
- We take accountability for our commitments and actions and expect no less of others.
- We are reflective and open to feedback.
- We ensure correct information.