National Workplace Initiative
In the 2019-20 Federal Budget the Government announced an investment of $11.5 million over four years for the National Workplace Initiative (NWI). The NWI provides a nationally consistent approach to workplace mental health.
A unique feature of the NWI is that it was initiated by the Mentally Healthy Workplace Alliance. The Alliance is made up of national organisations from the business, union, government, workplace health and mental health sectors leading change to promote and create mentally healthy workplaces. The National Mental Health Commission (the Commission) is an Alliance member. While managed by the Commission, the Alliance continues to guide the NWI and provide expert advice on its implementation.
- create an evidence-based framework for workplace mental health strategies
- help people at work and those connected to them find suitable initiatives and resources
- showcase successful approaches to mentally healthy workplaces
- strengthen the many programs and interventions already underway in Australia.
The NWI is utilising local and international research and learning from the industry and mental health experts, and other government organisations.
Mentally Healthy Workplaces and COVID-19: Emerging Issues
The Mentally Healthy Workplaces and COVID-19: Emerging Issues series provides organisations with expert insights and tips to address key challenges impacting workplace mental health. The guides also connect organisations to further sources of guidance and support.
The series includes:
- Helping people return to workplaces after extended periods working at home during COVID-19
- Strategies to support wellbeing of decision makers through periods of sustained pressure
- Identifying and managing fatigue and burnout during COVID-19
- The hidden impact of COVID-19 and sleep
- Creating mentally healthy hybrid teams in the recovery from COVID-19
- Responding to varied COVID-19 concerns in the workplace
- Supporting people experiencing post-COVID-19 syndrome
- Small business owners and managers overview
- Mental Health Supports
The Mentally Healthy Workplace Alliance and the National Mental Health Commission developed the guides to complement the Mentally Healthy Workplaces during COVID-19 resources released in 2020.
Series on industry initiatives supporting mentally healthy workplaces
The National Workplace Initiative has produced this series to showcase current industry-led initiatives supporting mentally healthy workplaces and to encourage others to take collective action.
This series includes:
- Paper 1 - Creating a collaborative: How to build an industry-led initiative: high-level guidance for setting up an initiative based on the insights of existing initiatives and expert advisors.
- Paper 2 - Stories from the field: Case studies of pioneering industry action: 13 case studies with various industry-led initiatives across white- and blue collar industries.
- Paper 3- Industry-led initiatives: Plan on a Page tool: a modified lean canvas to guide strategic thinking when planning an industry initiative.
To read the series and share your feedback, visit our engagement hub.
People sometimes feel like they're doing it on their own, and they don't know where to go, and they don't really have an idea of where to start. If people are coming together and talking about it, then that's probably a really good place to start.
Blueprint for Mentally Healthy Workplaces
In September 2021, the Commission released the first iteration of The Blueprint for Mentally Healthy Workplaces for review. The Blueprint aims to define a vision of mentally healthy workplaces that can be shared by all organisations and businesses across Australia. It also defines the core principles and focus areas for creating environments that protect, respond, and promote to support mental health.
This Blueprint has been developed as part of the National Workplace Initiative, which aims to create a nationally consistent approach to mentally healthy workplaces.
We recognise that every workplace and industry has unique needs. This Blueprint is intended to create a foundation that can be tailored for specific workplace or industry contexts.
This Blueprint has been developed in consultation with the Mentally Healthy Workplace Alliance, the National Workplace Initiative Frameworks Working Group, and wide networks of people and organisations passionate about creating mentally healthy workplaces.
To review the Blueprint and share your feedback, visit our engagement hub.
If you’d like to help inform the development of the National Workplace Initiative’s resources and digital platform, join our community through the Commission’s Have Your Say portal via the link below.
If you have a query about the NWI or would like to get in contact with the project team, please email: [email protected].