National Workplace Initiative
In the 2019-20 Federal Budget the Government announced an investment of $11.5 million over four years for the National Workplace Initiative (NWI). The NWI provides a nationally consistent approach to workplace mental health.
A unique feature of the NWI is that it was initiated by the Mentally Healthy Workplace Alliance. The Alliance is made up of 15 national organisations from the business, union, community and government sectors leading change to promote and create mentally healthy workplaces. The National Mental Health Commission (the Commission) is an Alliance member. While managed by the Commission, the Alliance continues to guide the NWI and provide expert advice on its implementation.
- create an evidence-based framework for workplace mental health strategies
- help people at work and those connected to them find suitable initiatives and resources
- showcase successful approaches to mentally healthy workplaces
- strengthen the many programs and interventions already underway in Australia.
The NWI is utilising local and international research and learning from the industry and mental health experts, and other government organisations.
The NWI is currently in the planning phase. To register your interest in the project and stay up to date, please fill out the form by clicking on the ‘Register your interest’ link below:
If you have a query about the NWI or would like to get in contact with the project team, please email: [email protected].
Have Your Say
We recently completed initial consultation on the draft NWI core framework.
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback. After this consultation, we will:
- Integrate and act on feedback received in this consultation.
- Refine the language of this framework using a co-design approach.
- Conduct a public consultation on the final draft of the NWI core framework.
The below discussion paper includes the framework that will act as the centerpiece of the NWI, informing the scope, resources, tools and supports provided within the NWI.
We look forward to refining the NWI with you in future.